9 May 2016
From 18th - 24th April detachments across the country donned their ACF t-shirts and high-vis jackets to take part in a variety of activities to support local causes during Community Week 2016.
From litter picking in local parks and bag-packing in supermarkets to a sponsored walk and renovating a local primary school, our detachments didn't disappoint when asked to help out in their communities and raise awareness of the great work the Army Cadets do. So, to all of the cadets and adult volunteers who dedicated their time and support to local charities, schools and community spaces in Community Week, we'd like to say a huge thank you and well done!
Here is a round-up of some of the fantastic work that took place during Community Week 2016:
- Christchurch detachment, Dorset ACF, did a marvellous job of re-landscaping a pond into a garden and painting fences at Somerford Primary School
- Fortrose detachment, 1st Battalion The Highlanders ACF, raised £500 to purchase a community AED (Automated External Defibrillator) by taking part in a sponsored walk
- Cambrai company, Surrey ACF, packed bags at Morrisons in Woking and raised £634 for ABF the Soldier's Charity
- Berwick detachment, Northumbria ACF, carried out a whole host of activities during Community Week, including litter picking in Sele Park, helping out at a local food bank, painting and renovation work for a youth charity and taking part in a tree-planting ceremony to celebrate the Queen's 90th brithday
- North Shields and Morpeth detachments, also from Northumbria ACF, visited Eastbourne House care home to help out and entertain the residents
- Culleybackey detachment, 1st Battalion Northern Ireland ACF, got out their brushes and shovels to tidy up and plant new greenery along the Riverside Path in the village
- Malpas detachment, Gwent and Powys ACF, helped out at a community fun day and packed bags for shoppers in Asda
- Kohima company, West Lowland Battalion ACF, ensured participants at a local 10k race remained hydrated by manning the water stands at the event
If your detachment took part in activities during Community Week 2016 and they aren't mentioned above, please get in touch and send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be running Community Week in 2017 so all detachments will have the chance to take part again next year. We will keep you posted on how to get involved through email, social media and on the website.