The Army Cadet Force Association (ACFA) is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. You can be assured that any information that you provide when using this website, by which you can be identified, will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The ACFA may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 25 June 2012.
What we collect
To help us manage the performance of our website we gather:
- Details of your visit to this website, including: pages viewed, time spent on site and individual pages, date and time of visit to the website.
- Details about the device used to visit this website, including: IP address, screen size, type of device, e.g. phone or PC, country location.
If you are applying to become an adult volunteer or a cadet, or are asking to join our e-mail newsletter list we will request some of the following information:
- Full name.
- Your contact details (phone number/s and/or email address).
- Your date of birth, where relevant.
- Your parents’ / guardians’ names (if you are applying to join as a cadet).
- Your parents’ / guardians’ contact details (if you are applying to join as a cadet).
- Demographic information such as home postcode and detachment preferences, so we can put you in contact with the relevant ACF HQ.
- Information on significant disability or mobility issues (if you are applying as an adult).
- Your previous experience with the Cadets or Regular/Reserve Forces, where relevant.
Why do we ask you for information?
If you have completed an expression of interest to join the Army Cadet Force, we will use your contact information:
- To provide your closest ACF County HQ with your details so that they can follow this up with you in person.
- To reply to any queries you have raised and to provide you with answers and/or the information you have requested.
What do we do with the information we gather?
- We will only send you information that you have specifically requested, using the contact information that you have provided.
- From time to time, we may use your information to email you for market research purposes, to help us improve the service we offer. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- The ACF may also use email information collected with consent for anonymous matching processes on Facebook. This information will not be shared with third parties or other advertisers and will be deleted promptly after the match process is complete. Facebook will maintain the confidentiality and security of the data and the collection of Facebook user IDs.
- We will not sell or share your email address to another organisation for their own purposes.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Sharing of personal data
Where necessary, we may share your personal data with the police or other legal authorities where the law requires us to do so.
We may also share your personal data with supporting organisations where they provide a service for us on your behalf. We will make it clear when we do this and why. At the time of writing, these organisations are:
- Ministry of Defence. When registering to join the ACF as an adult volunteer or cadet your data will be shared with the MOD in order to progress your registration.
- Army Cadet Force Association (ACFA) - The ACFA works with third-party providers (listed below) to provide services requested by you.
- Electric Putty. When registering to join the ACF our digital development agency Electric Putty will process your data for a maximum of five weeks to allow sharing with our county HQs which process your application. After this time your data will be anonymised before it is used for statistical analysis so we can monitor the number of applications to join the ACF.
- Campaign Monitor - we use Campaign Monitor to manage subscriptions of our e-newsletter where requested.
- Hotjar - we use Hotjar to provide statistical data on how to improve the website’s user experience and its performance.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites that you may find of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to us or emailing us at email@example.com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties, nor send you any promotional information about third parties, without your consent.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to the Army Cadet Force Association [Holderness House, 51-61 Clifton Street, London EC2A 4DW] or email us email@example.com as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Twitter advertising policy
We work with third parties to collect user data through our website for purposes of conversion tracking and serving ads targeted to users’ interests. You can opt out of some of these third parties’ interest-based advertising through the Do Not Track functionality in your web browser or through such other methods that Twitter may specify from time to time here.