First Aid Course
CTC supports a number of first aid ‘train the trainer’ courses, all of which are externally accredited:
CCF/ACF First Aid Course
Provides an externally accredited first aid qualification that meets the requirements of the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and JSP535 para 0203. Previous first aid experience is not necessary. It is, however, a requirement of the course that students will go on to teach first aid to cadets at detachment, company and contingent level.
Qualifies CCF/ACF Officer and Adult Instructors as follows:
- An HSE-approved First Aid at Work (FAW) Certificate.
- Company and Contingent First Aid Training Advisers.
- Expedition First Aid, including anaphylaxis and Automated External Defibrillators (AED) qualifications.
- To train and test cadets to youth first aid standard (ACF 2 Star or CCF Advanced).
CCF/ACF Company and Contingent First Aid Training Advisers’ Course
Qualifies CCF and ACF Officers and Adult Instructors to train cadets in:
- Youth First Aid
- Heartstart ELS
- Scenario training
- Casualty simulation
This course is provided to all students attending the CCF/ACF First Aid course. It is also offered as a standalone one-day non-residential module on the first Sunday of that course. It does not provide first aid skills, but instead teaches the administration and monitoring of cadet first aid activities and training. The course may be of interest to Training Safety Advisers (TSAs), Cadet Training Teams and other CFAVs.
The qualification is valid only if the student has a first aid certificate (see JSP535 para 0203).
CCF/ACF Advanced First Aid Course
Renews an externally accredited first aid qualification that meets the requirements of the HSE and JSP535 para 0203. Specifically this course:
- Re-qualifies CCF/ACF Officers and AIs in HSE-approved First Aid at Work (FAW).
- Provides Community First Responder qualification, including AED and anaphylaxis qualification.
- Provides further training in advanced techniques suitable for sustained first aid treatment.
Students must have a current HSE-approved First Aid at Work certificate that they have held for at least 12 months; and they must teach first aid to cadets and intend continuing to do so.
CCF/ACF First Aid Trainers’ Course
Qualifies CCF/ACF Officers and Adult Instructors as first aid trainers/assessors able to deliver HSE-approved First Aid at Work and other first aid courses to the cadet forces. This course:
- Re-qualifies ACF/CCF Officers and AIs for an HSE-approved First Aid at Work certificate.
- Provides externally-accredited, HSE-approved teaching and assessing qualifications.
- Provides evidence of competence to deliver relevant first aid courses, including a summative assessment of teaching and first aid skills.
Students must have:
- A current HSE-approved First Aid at Work certificate that they have held for at least three years;
- Evidence of teaching Youth First Aid to cadets; and
- An intention to teach first aid to other adult volunteers or be currently registered as a first aid trainer.
CCF/ACF First Aid Trainer Development Advisers’ Course
Provides experienced first aiders with the skills and knowledge to support first aid trainers and assessors. This course:
- Allows students to acquire evidence of Trainer Development Adviser competences.
- Provides evidence of continuing professional development.
- Updates students on current developments in training, monitoring and assessing first aid trainers.
- Be currently registered with ACFA as a first aid trainer and assessor.
- Hold a current adult first aid certificate, as per JSP535 para 0203.
- Be experienced first aid trainers and assessors capable of assessing and monitoring adult trainers.
This course runs biennially, with the ACF County First Aid Training Officers’ Course.
ACF County First Aid Training Officers’ (CFATO) Course
Provides recently-appointed ACF County First Aid Training Officers (CFATO) with the information and resources to carry out their role.
Specifically it provides ACF CFATOs with the knowledge and skills to:
- Organise instruction and testing in first aid for ACF Officers, AIs and cadets.
- Provide advice on all aspects of first aid training to the County Commandant.
- Monitor, assess and evidence first aid trainers’ skills.
- Organise and conduct practical first aid training and competitions.
Priority will be given to ACF CFATOs who are currently registered with ACFA as first aid trainers, who hold a current first aid certificate and who have not attended a previous CFATO course or conference. Also open to ACF county medical/nursing officers and CCF officers involved in first aid training.
This course runs biennially with the CCF/ACF First Aid Trainer Development Advisers’ Course.