Our battalion has its very own Cadet Training Centre which is based at Ferry Road in Dingwall, where our cadets spend up to five weekends per year training towards their Army Proficiency Syllabus Certificate with their respective companies.
Dingwall Cadet Training Centre first started out as a military barracks called Seaforth Barracks, opened 1905 and was designed as the headquarters of the 4th (Ross Highland) Battalion, the Seaforth Highlanders. Upon the outbreak of World War One in 1914 it was the home to "C" sub-section, Ammunition Column, 4th Highland Brigade, Royal Garrison Artillery Mountain Battery and "B" Company 4th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
The cadet centre has three separate accommodation blocks: the ‘Highlander Block’ for Female cadets, the ‘Cameron Block’ for Male cadets and the ‘Seaforth Block’ for adult staff. There are also two cabins that can also be used for overflow sleeping.
In 2016 the centre was redeveloped thanks HRFCA who secured £1.3 million in funding. The main focus of the upgrade was a complete rebuild of the ‘Highlander Block’, which was officially, opened on 21st November 2016 by Mrs Janet Bowen the Lord Lieutenant of Ross & Cromarty. The new accommodation block now means that the centre can hold up to 500 cadets and staff for various weekends and courses throughout the year.
The training centre has three separate classrooms for teaching, one of which can be split into two separate rooms to create a fourth classroom if necessary, each classroom is complete with a whiteboard and a TV or a projector to aid in teaching. The centre also holds a NAAFI room for the cadets to relax during the evenings after their training has finished.