1st Battalion The Highlanders Army Cadet Force has approximately 600 cadets, 30 Officers and 90 adult volunteers in 33 detachments across the Highlands, Moray, Western Isles and the Orkney & Shetland Isles.
The Battalion is organised into five companies: Caithness, Inverness, Western Isles, Moray and Ross, who are badged under the Royal Regiment of Scotland and proudly wear the distinctive blue hackle of The Highlanders (4 Scots) and one battery called Orkney & Shetland Battery, with their cadets proudly badged under the Lovat Scouts.
The 33 detachments are organised as follows:
Caithness Company has its Headquarters based in the ACF Centre, Princes Street in Thurso. There are 6 detachments within the company covering the Caithness and Sutherland areas.
Inverness Company has its Headquarters based in the Battalion's Headquarters at Gordonville Road in Inverness. There are 6 detachments within the company, mainly around the Inverness area but also have detachments as far down as Aviemore and Fort William.
Western Isles Company has its Headquarters based at the Army Reserve Centre on Church Street in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. There are 6 detachments within the company, all between, Lewis, Harris and the Uists.
Moray Company has its Headquarters based at the Army Reserve Centre on Edgar Road in Elgin. There are 6 detachments within the company, including the battalion's Pipes and Drums detachment, stretching from Culloden over to Elgin.
Ross Company has its Headquarters based at the Battalion's Cadet Training Centre in Dingwall. There are 6 detachments within the company from Dornoch, down to Dingwall and across to Portree on the Isle of Skye
Orkney & Shetland Battery has 4 detachments within the battery across the Orkney and Shetland Isles.
All detachments within the Battalion parade between 1900 and 2130 hours on one evening a week.