Happy New Year and thank you to all our followers, Cadet Force Adult Volunteers (CFAVs), Professional Support Staff (PSS), Cadets and Parents for your support in 2021.
2021 was far from a normal year; with periods of lockdown allowing only virtual training, Face-to-Face training finally returning but with strict restrictions, and then almost a return to normality by the end of the year. The resilience and determination of our PSS, CFAVs, Service Helpers and Non-uniformed Volunteers, plus the commitment of our Cadets and support from their Parents meant that we still had a successful year.
Some of our achievements in 2021:
- We had 78 new CFAVs and 561 Cadets joined the County.
- 25 of our CFAVs passed their Advanced Induction Training, earing their promotions to Sergeant Instructors!
- 429 APC passes were achieved by Cadets, gaining various Star Badges as a result.
- Hampshire Cadets were able to attend a Residential Annual Camp, while the Isle of Wight Cadets held a Non-residential Annual Camp on the Isle of Wight itself; the first time this has ever happened.
- All Companies achieved at least one residential weekend camp, some even achieved more!
- Our Shooting Team, comprised of Normandy Cadets, achieved 2nd place in a National Competition.
As 2022 begins, we hope that we can return to normal training to continue the successes of last year, but it is important that we remain prepared for whatever we need to do to keep the momentum going.
I have plans to expand, a new Company HQ forms in Church Crookham from today to replace A Company that we lost a few years ago in the migration with Z Company, forming Minden. Arnhem Company will be commanded by Capt M Farmer and his team. We have also identified several locations for new detachments to open during this year. Watch out for these as they may be nearer to your home locations.
We welcome Lt Col T Hope as the new Deputy Commandant and thank Lt Col R Mills for his 5 years of service in this role as his tenure comes to an end. We also welcome Capt Warren as County Quartermaster and Maj Marlow as Cadet Executive Officer in the next few weeks to lead our Professional Support Staff, I look forward to working closely with them.
I hope you all have a healthy, prosperous New Year and continue to follow Hampshire and Isle of Wight ACF with all the exciting changes we face this year!