108 Detachment were invited to form a Carpet Guard at Drapers Hall this evening and the 7 cadets concerned thoroughly enjoyed chatting to the Master, Beadle, Wardens and their guests as they attended their dinner in the lavishly appointed Drapers Hall in the City of London.
Founded in 1361, the Drapers are ranked 3rd in order of precedence of the 110 London Livery Companies and Drapers' Hall is located in Throgmorton Street, near London Wall. The company has owned the site since 1543, when it purchased the London mansion of Thomas Cromwell, of Austin Friars, from King Henry VIII.
The building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London and rebuilt to designs by Edward Jarman. After another fire in 1772, it was rebuilt again. This time the architect was John Gorham. Further extensive alterations were made in the 19th century. The Hall survived the Blitz during the Second World War.
The Hall includes four finely decorated main rooms used for the company's functions. The largest room is the Livery Hall, which can accommodate up to 276 guests for dinner. These rooms have often been used for film locations, including for The King's Speech, GoldenEye, The Lost Prince and Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London.
Many thanks to SI Tina Delaney for organising a great evening.