The ACF PR Training Team exists to train the ACF in PR and promotional skills. This is achieved through a programme of weekend residential courses at military training facilities around the United Kingdom.
There is a rolling, three-year programme of continuous personal development in a range of communication disciplines as follows:
- Introduction to PR: mandatory training for ACF county PROs who should attend the course within 6 months of appointment.
- Developing PR Skills: should normally be completed within 12 months of Introduction to PR.
Specialist courses and workshops
The ACF PR Training Team also runs specialist courses to develop specific skills. Places on each course are limited and will be allocated first to delegates who have completed at least the Introductory PR course, and then on a first come, first served basis. The courses are:
- Digital photography
- Writing for the web, blogs and social media
- On air - broadcasting interview training and audio blogging
- Event Management
- New media and social networks
All PR Courses can now be booked on Westminster.
For further information, please contact Major Douglas Brown, Training Officer.
Wilkinson Sword Competition
The Wilkinson Sword has been awarded to the winner of an annual Public Relations competition for ACF Counties for a number of years and is awarded for PR excellence.
Instead of counties submitting a single overall submission covering every aspect of their PR activities they will be able to submit entries into a number of smaller, more discrete categories. Each county can submit entries into more than one category and each category will be judged by the ACF PR Training team member with the appropriate expertise. Winning entries in each of the categories will receive a certificate of commendation.
The winners of these specialist categories will then be judged against each other by the PR Training Team as a whole, to identify the overall winner of the Sword of Excellence.
Previously the categories have been as follows:
• Best use of a web site
• Best media portfolio (newspapers, external magazines, radio TV etc from the year)
• Best portfolio of five photographs
• Best newsletter
• Best PR event
• Best use of social networks or new media
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CRITERIA AND CATEGORIES FOR 2018 ENTRIES ARE CURRENTLY UNDER REVIEW. RESULTS OF THE WILKINSON SWORD COMPETITION 2018 WILL BE RELEASED SOON.